Tuesday 20 November 2012

Production Reflection

I have now completed principle photography fully and successfully gained around sixty to seventy minutes of footage all together.

I am pleased with the outcome of the shots I have gained and feel I have managed to capture more than enough footage which I will now use in post production to create my music video, however there were a few hiccups that caused production to be slowed down along the way.

When I came to my first day of recording, my main cast member wasn't able to attend due to being ill therefore I had no option but to become my main character myself and appear in my own music video, this meant I wouldnt be able to film the majority of the video but at least allowed me to stick to my main idea.
However I was able to still film location shots and shots that I wasnt involved in, I also filmed a large portion of Andrew's video to make up for the lack of filming my own shots.

As well as this problem there were other smaller problems that I came across during the production process like the fact that the weather was quite bad on the days I was filming, I had to try and fit all my shots in when it wasn't raining which proved to be quite difficult with it being Autumn at the moment. Also it appeared to become dark by around 4pm each day I was filming therefore it was vital to ensure I captured all of my shots before it got dark to ensure the lighting was generally the same throughout all of my footage.

These were the only few things that I found made the production stage more difficult than it could have been but I felt that everything else went well, my team all worked well together and we managed to get each others done before the deadline successfully. I also managed to gain great costumes easily including a real soldiers outfit which worked very well with the theme of war in my video. It was also a great time to shoot my video due to it being in November and all of the remembrance events occuring as well as the sale of poppies, meaning I was able to use all of these in my video making it more realistic and interesting.

Problems:

- Main cast member wasn't able to attend on the day meaning left with no main character to film
- Weather was quite bad and was regularly raining
- Sun set quite early meaning didn't get as much time to film as wished

Success:

- Team worked very well together
- Had permission to shoot at all of my locations including a repatriation service
- Easy access to the locations

Things I'd do differently:

- Find a more reliable main cast member
- Ensure I film on good weather days, check the forecast for the best day

Therefore I am pleased with the outcome of my principle photography and I looking forward to capturing my rushes ready to edit it together to create my music video.

No comments:

Post a Comment